We are looking for a corporate Research Engineer that has experience with lab scale reactor systems (glass and/or metal, pressure systems), demonstrated ability to work with ambiguous problems and create structure in a way that the problem can be investigated, solved and well understood. Demonstrated proactive approaches to identifying and creating value is a must. The successful candidate will demonstrate being a change agent and one who works with a sense of urgency, who is excited about problem solving and implementing technical developments.
- The Research Engineer will help drive further growth in TPC's businesses through successful development and commercialization of new & improved processes & products. Development work in this position involves design of experiments, raw materials evaluations, process and equipment evaluations, formulation, scale-up support from laboratory trials to production, plant support, and technical service in support of commercialization.
- This role focuses on (i) the modeling and optimization of existing processes, (ii) conceptual design of future facilities, and (iii) the translation of new scientific discoveries to actionable engineering designs. Activities will involve creating techno-economic models of potential future processes, creating flowsheet process models, and early-stage conceptual designs of future plants. This role will partner closely with TPC's engineering team.
Role Specific Knowledge
- Passion for safety and working in an employee-led safety organization.
- Designs and executes safe and efficient lab experimentation. Participates in laboratory safety activities and leads lab-based management of changes.
- Data development utilizing lab scale systems either though hands on operation of equipment/analytical & complete data workup in spreadsheets or with the assistance of a Research Technician.
- Manages R&D portfolio of projects and provides project leadership in areas of responsibility. Communicates to steering teams and business teams for strategic decisions.
- Operates with significant independence from experimental planning/modeling through data presentation.
- Stays abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
- Awareness and participation in intellectual property development and identification of threats.
- Communicates frequently and documents work appropriately in the form of internal reports, technology manuals, knowledge management resources, external reports, and patents.
- Technical mentor to both experienced and less experienced personnel in the group as well as outside the group in technology/operations/commercial.
Behaviors That Lead To Success At TPC
- Experience in designing and conducting lab development work using the highest standards using the scientific method.
- Experience with building and maintaining pilot plant/lab testing units. Improving and modifying to meet testing needs. Experience using and troubleshooting analytical, method development and data analysis.
- Laboratory process control and excel macro coding experience a plus.
- Project experience evaluating feasibility and potential value of new technology opportunities. Experience managing external development programs is a plus.
- Process modeling (Aspen Plus). Reactor modeling of homo/heterogeneous catalyst systems.
- Develop techno-economic assessments for existing and incumbent processes, and use these models to inform R&D targets, process KPIs, and commercial decisions
- Generate a flowsheet model of existing demonstration plant and validate against process data.
- Execute Front End Loading Stage 0/1 (conceptual design) for new plants and processes.
- Generate Process Development Packages to progress new concepts to the engineering team.
- Ability to deliver presentations or reports that distill complex ideas into clear results and proposals; communicates appropriately to influence internal and external audiences, including senior management.
- Statistics (JMP) & six sigma green/black belt experience (a plus).
- Root Cause Investigation facilitation - Apollo and/or Cause Map.
- Particular experience (a plus): extractive distillation (C4s), polyisobutylene, Catofin/Houdry dehydrogenation, MTBE/DIB, selective hydrogenations (acetylenes, dienes, etc).
- Ask a lot of questions, be curious, and have insights into your work.
- Be nimble, embrace speed and ambiguity.
- Ability to self-manage and set your own priorities and schedule.
- Ability to make conclusions with limited data yet drives to make data-based decisions and conclusions.
- Be comfortable working in multiple roles.
- Emphasize safety above all else.
- Respect for others.
- Creative problem solving.
- Willingness to learn and research new engineering/science concepts.
- Relevant Competencies: Influences, collaborates, focus on performance, proactive, agile, thinks analytically, and creates the new and different.
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, a minimum.
- Strongly prefer advanced degrees (Ph.D., MS).
- 10+ years of experience in the industry.
- 5+ years of experience in R&D, technology groups or similar.
- Comfortable working in an industrial environment
- Able to lift and move up to 25 pounds, climb stairs & ladders.
- Able to (infrequently) work shifts during pilot plant campaigns and operational turnarounds.
- Able to travel 10%
- Take part in operational TA where entry into vessels, towers, reactors. Taking part in catalyst change outs with catalyst handling vendors.
- Flexible working schedule that allows for reasonable accommodations for working from home or remotely.